Utah State Income Tax
Tax Year 2014
Utah Income Tax Table
|Tax Bracket (Single) ||Tax Bracket (Couple) ||Marginal Tax Rate|
Note: Utah's income tax has a single flat tax rate for all income.
The Utah Income Tax
Utah collects a state income tax at a maximum marginal tax rate of %, spread across tax brackets. Unlike the Federal Income Tax, Utah's state income tax does not provide couples filing jointly with expanded income tax brackets.
Notably, Utah has the highest maximum marginal tax bracket in the United States. You can learn more about how the Utah income tax compares to other states' income taxes by visiting our map of income taxes by state.
Utah has an income tax credit equal to 6% of the current federal personal exemption (as an applicable standard deduction).
There are -528 days left until Tax Day, on April 15th 2015. The IRS will start accepting eFiled tax returns in January 2015 - you can start your online tax return today for free with TurboTax .
Utah Tax Deductions
Income tax deductions are expenses that can be deducted from your gross pre-tax income. Using deductions is an excellent way to reduce your Utah income tax and maximize your refund, so be sure to research deductions that you mey be able to claim on your Federal and Utah tax returns. For details on specific deductions available in Utah, see the list of Utah income tax deductions.
4.1 - Utah Standard Deduction
- Unlike many other states, Utah has no standard deduction. Certain itemized deductions (including property tax, qualified charitable contributions, etc) may be allowed depending on the income level and filing type of the taxpayer. Keep in mind that not all deductions allowed on your federal income tax return are necessarily going to be allowed on your Utah income tax return.
4.2 - Utah Personal Exemptions
- Utah has no personal exemption. The Federal Income Tax, however, does allow a personal exemption to be deducted from your gross income if you are responsible for supporting yourself financially.
4.3 - Utah Dependent Deduction
- Unlike most states, Utah does not have a dependent deduction. You can, however, claim dependent deductions on your Federal Tax Return.
4.4 - Utah Itemized Deductions
- Utah allows limited itemized deductions. You may be able to claim most of the same deductions on your Utah income tax return as you do on your Federal return, but more limitations and phase-outs may exist for higher income taxpayers. For more information, see the list of Utah itemized deductions.
Tax-Rates.org provides easy access to five of the most commonly used Utah income tax forms, in downloadable PDF format. For all of the tax forms we provide, visit our Utah tax forms library or the 's tax forms page.
How To File Your Utah Income Tax Return
Where To Send Your Utah Tax Return
Income Tax Returns
Utah State Tax Commission 210 North 1950 West Salt Lake City, Utah 84134-0266
Income Tax Returns (Refund Returns)
Utah State Tax Commission 210 North 1950 West Salt Lake City, Utah 84134-0260
e-Filing: Submit Your Utah Tax Return Online
You can save time and money by electronically filing your Utah income tax directly with the . Benefits of e-Filing your Utah tax return include instant submission, error checking, and faster refund response times. Most tax preparers can electronically file your return for you, or you can do it yourself using free or paid income tax software, like the examples listed below.
To e-file your Utah and Federal income tax returns, you need a piece of tax software that is certified for eFile by the IRS. While most in-depth tax software charges a fee, there are several free options available through the states, and simple versions are also offered free of charge by most tax software companies.
The two most popular tax software packages are H&R Block At Home, sold by the H&R Block tax preparation company, and TurboTax Federal & State, sold by the Intuit software company. Both companies produce multiple editions for simple to very complex tax returns, so be sure to carefully compare the features offered by each package.
Getting Your Utah Tax Refund
If your state tax witholdings are greater then the amount of income tax you owe the state of Utah, you will receive an income tax refund check from the government to make up the difference.
It should take one to three weeks for your refund check to be processed after your income tax return is recieved. E-filing your return and filing early can help ensure your refund check gets sent as quickly as possible.
Once you've filed your tax return, all you have to do is wait for your refund to arrive. If you want to check the status of your Utah tax refund, you can visit the Utah Income Tax Refund page.
Send Instant Feedback About This Page
- Our state ranking and income tax figures are based on a family of four (married parents with two children) earning the national median household income of $50,000 per year. Deductions and personal exemptions are taken into account, but some state-specific deductions and tax credit programs may not be accounted for.
- Before the official 2016 Utah income tax rates are released, provisional 2016 tax rates are based on Utah's 2015 income tax brackets.
- The 2016 state personal income tax brackets are updated from the Utah and Tax Foundation data.
- Utah tax forms are sourced from the Utah income tax forms page, and are updated on a yearly basis. Please make sure the Utah forms you are using are up-to-date.