Income Tax Calculator

  Filing Status Income (AGI) Personal Exemptions Tax Deductions Tax Credits Payments
Federal Single $0.00 $0.00 $0.00 N/A $0.00
State Single $0.00 $0.00 $0.00 N/A $0.00
Note - State tax brackets for tax year 2020 (due April 2021) are now available.
  1. Basic Tax Info

    The Tax Calculator 2020

    The Income Tax Calculator can estimate state income taxes, payroll taxes, and self-employment tax as well as your income tax. Choose what you would like us to calculate.

    My Filing Status:
    Do you want us to calculate your payroll taxes? ? New Feature!
    Include payroll and self-employment taxes in my tax estimate
    Only include payroll taxes in my tax estimate
    Do not calculate payroll or self-employment tax

    Do you want us to calculate your state income tax?

    Choose your state from the dropdown to calculate both state and federal income tax.

  2. My Income

    My Income

    Your total income includes all wages, tips, and miscellaneous income you have earned this tax year. The calculator will determine your total income.

    Wages, salaries, and tips
    Short-term capital gains, taxable interest, and dividends ?
    Net business income (can be negative) ?
    Unemployment compensation and alimony
    Taxable social security income
    Other income

    Long-term capital gains ?

    Total deductions for Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) ?

    My Adjusted Gross Income (AGI)
    AGI (change if different)
  3. My Exemptions

    My Personal Exemptions

    You may claim one personal exemption for yourself (as long as nobody claims you as a dependant), and one for your spouse if you are filing jointly.

    You may claim one additional personal exemption for each qualifying dependant (such as children or live-in relatives) who are financially dependant on your income.

    Exemption Amounts Per Filer (Single) Per Filer (Married) Per Dependant

    I would like to claim a personal exemption for myself
    I would like to claim a personal exemption for my spouse

    How many additional dependants do you have? ?

    Total Exemptions Total Federal Exemption Total Exemption
  4. My Deductions

    My Deductions

    You can choose to claim either the Standard Deduction (which is a fixed amount depending on your filing type), or an itemized deduction.


    Standard Deductions Single Married Head Of Household Filing Separately

    My Standard Deduction Check any boxes that describe you or your spouse.
    I am blind I am older than 65
    My spouse is blind My spouse is older then 65

    My federal standard deduction (Single)
    My standard deduction (Single)
    My Itemized Deductions

    Property taxes, state and local income taxes
    Mortgage interest (up to two houses)
    Charitable contributions
    Unreimbursed medical expenses (over 7.5% of income)
    Other qualifying itemized deductions

    My total itemized deduction
    My itemized deduction (change if different)
  5. My Tax Credits

    My Tax Credits

    We can automatically calculate your Earned Income Tax Credit, Child Tax Credit, and both educational tax credits (American Opportunity and Lifetime Learning) on your behalf. You must manually include any other federal credits, as well as any state credits.
    Earned Income Tax Credit and Child Tax Credits ?
    We will automatically calculate the Earned Income Tax Credit or Child Tax Credits for you. Both tax credits are based on the number of qualifying dependant children in your household (see help).
    I have a total of qualifying dependant children, of whom are under age 17.
    American Opportunity and Lifetime Learning Tax Credits ?
    American Opportunity educational expenses (Tuition, fees, & books)
    Lifetime Learning educational expenses (Tuition, fees, & books)
    Include Additional Tax Credits?
    Enter the total value of any additional federal tax credits
    Enter the total value of any state tax credits
  6. My Payments

    My Tax Payments

    If you enter the income tax you have already paid through tax withholding or estimated tax payments Estimated Income Taxes - External Link, we can calculate how much tax you will owe or how large a refund you will receive when you file your tax return. You can find this information on your W-2 form Tax Withholding - External Link.

    Federal Income Tax Payments (Leave blank if unknown)
    Total tax withheld from forms W-2 and 1099
    Estimated tax payments

    My total tax payments
    Income Tax Payments (Leave blank if unknown)
    Total tax withheld from forms W-4 and 1099
    estimated tax payments

    My total tax payments
  7. Review & Submit

    Review & Submit

    Please support this free tool by answering a survey question to unlock your results ?

    Please review the information you entered in the previous sections for accuracy using the table below. If you believe your information is accurate, press 'Estimate My Income Tax'.

    My filing status
    My total income
    My personal exemptions
    My deductions
    My tax payments
    Payroll Tax - We will calculate your payroll tax for you and include it in your tax estimate
    I have read and agree to the terms of use & disclaimer
Donate Bitcoins to Donate BitCoin:
Tax Calculator Results

My Income Tax Estimate

Federal & State Income Tax - Tax Year 2023
Income Tax Calculations
Gross Income    
Deductions for AGI    
Adjusted Gross Income (AGI)    
Deductions and Personal Exemptions    
Taxable Income    
Federal Income Tax Show Calculations    
Income Tax Show Calculations    
Additional Taxes    
Gross Tax    
Tax Credits & Payments    
Owed Tax    
Gross Income
Total Tax (Pre-Credits)
Total Owed Tax
After-Tax Income
Effective Tax Rate


eFiling Options

TurboTax Free TurboTax Free

Free edition for simple returns, with under $50k income

TurboTax Deluxe TurboTax Deluxe

Most popular edition, allows all major deductions and credits

TurboTax Premier TurboTax Premier

For taxpayers with stocks, mutual funds, rental properties, etc

TurboTax Home & Business TurboTax Home & Business

For self-employed people and business owners


Welcome to the new Income Tax Calculator!

We're proud to provide one of the most comprehensive free online tax calculators to our users. You can use this tax calculator to:

  • estimate your federal and state income taxes
  • calculate your expected refund or amount of owed tax
  • check your eligibility for a variety of tax credits
  • compare your tax burden in different states

Once you have filled out the calculator once, feel free to make changes to your income, state, filing status, or tax credits to see how different values affect your total income tax bill.


The Tax Calculator is now fully updated! Federal calculations will now use the official federal tax brackets and deductions, and state calculations will use the most recent brackets available.

There have been several major tax law changes as of tax year 2013, including several that are the result of new Obamacare-related taxes. We support the following new tax laws:

  • Net Investment Income Tax - A new 3.8% surtax on capital gains over a certain income threshold ($250,000 for MFJ)
  • Additional Medicare Tax - A new 0.9% Medicare surtax on wage income over a certain income threshold ($250,000 for MFJ)
  • 20% Maximum Capital Gains Tax - A new capital gains tax rate for capital gains income over the highest tax bracket ($450,000 for MFJ)

We have also added full support for calculating payroll taxes (Social Security and Medicare tax) as well as self-employment taxes. Payroll taxes are calculated based on your declared wage income, and self-employment taxes are calculated based on your declared business income.

Your filing status determines which set of tax brackets are used to determine your income tax, as well as your eligibility for a variety of tax deductions and credits.

  • Single - You are unmarried and have no dependants
  • Married Filing Jointly - If you are married, and are filing one joint return for both you and your spouse
  • Married Filing Separately - You are married, and your spouse files a separate tax return. Normally results in higher taxes for both partners.
  • Head of Household - You are unmarried, but support at least one qualified dependant. Provides better tax rates then filing as Single.

Payroll Tax

The Payroll Tax, also known as the FICA tax, refers to the two mandatory taxes paid by all employees which contribute to the Social Security and Medicare programs.

Payroll taxes are always deducted directly from each paycheck, so you rarely have to pay additional payroll tax on your income tax return. As a result, many taxpayers are unaware of the true amount they pay in payroll taxes.

Self-Employment Tax

The payroll tax consists of two halves - one half is paid by the employee, and one half is paid by their employer. Self-employed individuals must pay both the employee and employer halves of the payroll tax, which is commonly known as the self-employment tax. Because most self-employed people do not receive paychecks, they are often required to pay the self-employment tax on April 15th along with their regular income tax.

Tick the appropriate box if you would like us to estimate your payroll or self-employment taxes. We will calculate payroll taxes based on your wage income, and self-employment taxes based on your business income.

Some deductions are taken from your Total Income to compute your AGI. These deductions include qualified educator expenses, alimony paid, moving expenses, and certain self-employed expenses.

Do not add the deductible part of your self-employment tax - we will calculate this for you.

Long-term capital gains are capital gains realized from the sale or transfer of a capital asset that has been held for at least a year and a day.

Common examples include gains from the sale of stocks, mutual funds, and real estate. Long-term capital gains are taxed at a much lower rate then normal income and short-term capital gains.

Short-term capital gains are capital gains realized from the sale or transfer of a capital asset that has been held for a year or less.

Common examples include gains from short stock and security trades or flipping real estate. Unlike long-term capital gains, short term capital gains are taxed at your regular marginal tax rate .

Interest and dividends, often received through investments such as money market accounts and mutual funds, are also usually taxed at your regular marginal tax rate.

Net business income is the total gain or loss you have realized from the operation of an unincorporated sole proprietorship or LLC business. On your 1040, your business income and loss is calculated on Schedule C .

You can calculate your net business income by subtracting your qualified business expenses (including materials, tools, and labor costs) from your gross earnings.

If you have a net gain from your business, it counts as ordinary income. A business generating a net loss can serve as a deduction (just enter a negative number).

Personal Exemptions are allowances that can be deducted from your AGI for each individual who is financially reliant on your income. The amount of the personal exemption is adjusted for inflation yearly.

You can always claim one personal exemption for yourself (as long as you're not claimed as a dependant on someone else's tax return). In addition, you can claim one exemption for your spouse if filing jointly, as well as one exemption for each qualified dependant (such as children or financially dependant relatives).

Standard Deduction

The Standard Deduction is a floored deduction amount set by Congress to simplify deductions for taxpayers who don't have enough deductions to itemize. The standard deduction varies by filing status, age, and vision and is adjusted each year for inflation. You do not need to keep records of your deductions if you claim the standard deduction.

Itemized Deduction

You can choose to itemize your deductions if your qualifying deductions add up to more then your standard deduction. You can only itemize deductions specifically allowed by the IRS - such as charitable deductions, certain medical expenses, mortgage interest, and state/local taxes. Most itemized deductions have limitations and phase-outs associated with them, and you must retain records and receipts for all of the deductions you itemize.

Should I itemize?

In general high net worth taxpayers, taxpayers who own a house, and taxpayers with high medical expenses are most likely to benefit from itemized deductions. About one third of all taxpayers claim an itemized deduction, with the most common deductions including mortgage interest and state & local taxes.

Earned Income Tax Credit

The Earned Income Tax Credit (or EITC) is a refundable tax credit for lower to middle income working families that is largely based on the number of qualifying children in your household. "Qualified children" for the EITC must be dependants under age 19, full-time dependant students under age 24, or fully disabled children of any age.

You must be between 25 and 65 years old, a citizen, a United States resident, and have under $3,200 in investment income to qualify for the EITC. We will calculate what, if any, EITC you may qualify for based on your income and the number of qualifying children you specify.

Child Tax Credit

The Child Tax Credit is a $1,000 tax credit available for each qualifying child you claim as a dependant. A qualifying child must be a dependant, under age 17 and lives with you at at least half the year. This credit is phased out for higher income taxpayers (starting at $110,000 for married couples, and $75,000 for single and other filing types).

Two educational credits are available, although you can only claim one credit per year for each qualifying student (including yourself). The American Opportunity credit is the preferable option for students enrolled in four-year colleges.

To calculate the credits, just include the amount of qualified educational expenses you would like to claim in the fields for the American Opportunity and/or Lifetime Learning tax credits.

American Opportunity Tax Credit

The American Opportunity Tax Credit is worth up to $2,500. You can claim the American Opportunity credit for yourself or a dependant student with qualifying educational expenses incurred pursuing a degree at a qualifying undergraduate school. You can only claim the American Opportunity credit for a total of four years for each qualifying student.

Lifetime Learning Tax Credit

The Lifetime Learning Tax Credit can be worth up to $2,000, and can be claimed for any qualifying educational expenses with no limit on the number of years it can be claimed. Qualifying expenses for the Lifetime Learning credit include graduate school tuition, continuing and adult education classes. You do not have to be pursuing a degree to use your educational expenses for this credit.

This free tax calculator is supported by Google Consumer Surveys. Answer a simple question or complete an alternate activity to dismiss the survey box and submit your tax calculator results.

You only have to answer the survey once to unlock the tax calculator for 24 hours. Please note, you may need to scroll down to see the full survey question and dismiss the box.

Terms of Use & Disclaimer of Liability

The TAX-RATES.ORG INCOME TAX CALCULATOR is a free tool provided on an AS-IS basis with no implied warranty of fitness or guarantee of usefulness. While we make every effort to ensure this calculator and our tax data is correct and up to date, we cannot be held liable for the results this calculator, or the consequences of using them.

We stress that this calculator is provided for informational purposes only. No calculator can replace professional advice, and we strongly recommend you consult a licensed financial planner or CPA before making any tax-related or financial decisions.

By using this calculator, you agree that you understand and agree to abide by to the above terms and disclaimers as well as the Terms & Privacy Policy.