Virginia State Income Tax
Tax Year 2014
Virginia Income Tax Table
|Tax Bracket (Single) ||Tax Bracket (Couple) ||Marginal Tax Rate|
The Virginia Income Tax
Virginia collects a state income tax at a maximum marginal tax rate of %, spread across tax brackets. Unlike the Federal Income Tax, Virginia's state income tax does not provide couples filing jointly with expanded income tax brackets.
Virginia's maximum marginal income tax rate is the 1st highest in the United States, ranking directly below Virginia's %. You can learn more about how the Virginia income tax compares to other states' income taxes by visiting our map of income taxes by state.
There are -646 days left until Tax Day, on April 15th 2015. The IRS will start accepting eFiled tax returns in January 2015 - you can start your online tax return today for free with TurboTax .
Virginia Tax Deductions
Income tax deductions are expenses that can be deducted from your gross pre-tax income. Using deductions is an excellent way to reduce your Virginia income tax and maximize your refund, so be sure to research deductions that you mey be able to claim on your Federal and Virginia tax returns. For details on specific deductions available in Virginia, see the list of Virginia income tax deductions.
- Unlike many other states, Virginia has no standard deduction. Certain itemized deductions (including property tax, qualified charitable contributions, etc) may be allowed depending on the income level and filing type of the taxpayer. Keep in mind that not all deductions allowed on your federal income tax return are necessarily going to be allowed on your Virginia income tax return.
- Virginia has no personal exemption. The Federal Income Tax, however, does allow a personal exemption to be deducted from your gross income if you are responsible for supporting yourself financially.
- Unlike most states, Virginia does not have a dependent deduction. You can, however, claim dependent deductions on your Federal Tax Return.
- Virginia allows itemized deductions, and you can claim the same itemized deductions on your Virginia tax return as you do on your Federal tax return. You must choose between itemizing your deductions and choosing the Virginia standard deduction, so it's generally only worth itemizing your deductions if your itemized total is more then the Virginia and Federal standard deductions. For more details, visit the list of Virginia itemized deductions.
Tax-Rates.org provides easy access to five of the most commonly used Virginia income tax forms, in downloadable PDF format. For all of the tax forms we provide, visit our Virginia tax forms library or the 's tax forms page.
How To File Your Virginia Income Tax Return
Where To Send Your Virginia Tax Return
Income Tax Returns (No Payment)
Virginia Department of Taxation P.O. Box 1498 Richmond, VA 23218-1498
Income Tax Returns (Payment Enclosed)
Virginia Department of Taxation P.O. Box 760 Richmond, VA 23218-0760
e-Filing: Submit Your Virginia Tax Return Online
You can save time and money by electronically filing your Virginia income tax directly with the . Benefits of e-Filing your Virginia tax return include instant submission, error checking, and faster refund response times. Most tax preparers can electronically file your return for you, or you can do it yourself using free or paid income tax software, like the examples listed below.
To e-file your Virginia and Federal income tax returns, you need a piece of tax software that is certified for eFile by the IRS. While most in-depth tax software charges a fee, there are several free options available through the states, and simple versions are also offered free of charge by most tax software companies.
The two most popular tax software packages are H&R Block At Home, sold by the H&R Block tax preparation company, and TurboTax Federal & State, sold by the Intuit software company. Both companies produce multiple editions for simple to very complex tax returns, so be sure to carefully compare the features offered by each package.
Getting Your Virginia Tax Refund
If your state tax witholdings are greater then the amount of income tax you owe the state of Virginia, you will receive an income tax refund check from the government to make up the difference.
It should take one to three weeks for your refund check to be processed after your income tax return is recieved. E-filing your return and filing early can help ensure your refund check gets sent as quickly as possible.
Once you've filed your tax return, all you have to do is wait for your refund to arrive. If you want to check the status of your Virginia tax refund, you can visit the Virginia Income Tax Refund page.
Send Instant Feedback About This Page
- Our state ranking and income tax figures are based on a family of four (married parents with two children) earning the national median household income of $50,000 per year. Deductions and personal exemptions are taken into account, but some state-specific deductions and tax credit programs may not be accounted for.
- Before the official 2017 Virginia income tax rates are released, provisional 2017 tax rates are based on Virginia's 2016 income tax brackets.
- The 2017 state personal income tax brackets are updated from the Virginia and Tax Foundation data.
- Virginia tax forms are sourced from the Virginia income tax forms page, and are updated on a yearly basis. Please make sure the Virginia forms you are using are up-to-date.