Oregon State Income Tax - Tax Year 2012
Oregon Income Tax Table
|Tax Bracket (Single) ||Tax Bracket (Couple) ||Marginal Tax Rate|
The Oregon Income Tax
Oregon collects a state income tax at a maximum marginal tax rate of 11.00%, spread across five tax brackets. Like the Federal Income Tax, Oregon's income tax allows couples filing jointly to pay a lower overall rate on their combined income with wider tax brackets for joint filers. Notably, Oregon has the highest maximum marginal tax bracket in the United States.
Some states, including Oregon, effectively double bracket widths for married couples filing jointly (others include AL, AZ, CT, HI, ID, KS, LA, ME, and NE). There are -36 days left until Tax Day, on April 15th 2013.
Oregon Tax Deductions
Income tax deductions are expenses that can be deducted from your gross pre-tax income. Using deductions is an excellent way to reduce your Oregon income tax and maximize your refund, so be sure to research deductions that you mey be able to claim on your Federal and Oregon tax returns. For details on specific deductions available in Oregon, see the list of Oregon income tax deductions.
- The Oregon standard deduction is $1,950.00 for individuals and $3,900.00 for married couples filing jointly. The standard deduction may be chosen instead of filing an itemized deduction on your Oregon tax return.
- Oregon's personal income tax exemptions include a personal exemption of $179.00. You can deduct one single exemption from your gross income if you are responsible for supporting yourself financially.
- Oregon has a dependent exemption of $179.00. You may claim one dependent examption for each of the children, relatives, or others who live with and are supported by you as described § 152 of the IRC (Internal Revenue Code).
- Oregon allows itemized deductions, and you can claim the same itemized deductions on your Oregon tax return as you do on your Federal tax return. You must choose between itemizing your deductions and choosing the Oregon standard deduction, so it's generally only worth itemizing your deductions if your itemized total is more then the Oregon and Federal standard deductions. For more details, visit the list of Oregon itemized deductions.
Oregon Income Tax Forms
How To File Your Oregon Income Tax Return
Where To Send Your Oregon Tax Return
Oregon Department of Revenue 955 Center Street NE Salem Or. 97301-2555
Income Tax Returns (No Payment)
Oregon Department of Revenue PO Box 14700 Salem OR. 97309-0930
Income Tax Returns (Payment Enclosed)
Oregon department of Revenue, PO Box 14555 Salem OR. 97309-0940
e-Filing: Submit Your Oregon Tax Return Online
You can save time and money by electronically filing your Oregon income tax directly with the Department of Revenue . Benefits of e-Filing your Oregon tax return include instant submission, error checking, and faster refund response times. Most tax preparers can electronically file your return for you, or you can do it yourself using free or paid income tax software, like the examples listed below.
To e-file your Oregon and Federal income tax returns, you need a piece of tax software that is certified for eFile by the IRS. While most in-depth tax software charges a fee, there are several free options available through the states, and simple versions are also offered free of charge by most tax software companies.
The two most popular tax software packages are H&R Block At Home, sold by the H&R Block tax preparation company, and TurboTax Federal & State, sold by the Intuit software company. Both companies produce multiple editions for simple to very complex tax returns, so be sure to carefully compare the features offered by each package.
Getting Your Oregon Tax Refund
If your state tax witholdings are greater then the amount of income tax you owe the state of Oregon, you will receive an income tax refund check from the government to make up the difference.
It should take one to three weeks for your refund check to be processed after your income tax return is recieved. E-filing your return and filing early can help ensure your refund check gets sent as quickly as possible.
Once you've filed your tax return, all you have to do is wait for your refund to arrive. If you want to check the status of your Oregon tax refund, you can visit the Oregon Department of Revenue Income Tax Refund page.
Send Instant Feedback About This Page
- Our state ranking and income tax figures are based on a family of four (married parents with two children) earning the national median household income of $50,000 per year. Deductions and personal exemptions are taken into account, but some state-specific deductions and tax credit programs may not be accounted for.
- Before the official 2013 Oregon income tax rates are released, provisional 2013 tax rates are based on Oregon's 2012 income tax brackets.
- The 2013 state personal income tax brackets are updated from the Oregon Department of Revenue and Tax Foundation data.
- Oregon tax forms are sourced from the Oregon Department of Revenue income tax forms page, and are updated on a yearly basis. Please make sure the Oregon forms you are using are up-to-date.