Idaho State Income Tax - Tax Year 2012
Idaho Income Tax Table
|Tax Bracket (Single) ||Tax Bracket (Couple) ||Marginal Tax Rate|
The Idaho Income Tax
Idaho collects a state income tax at a maximum marginal tax rate of 7.80%, spread across eight tax brackets. Like the Federal Income Tax, Idaho's income tax allows couples filing jointly to pay a lower overall rate on their combined income with wider tax brackets for joint filers. Idaho's maximum marginal income tax rate is the 10th highest in the United States, ranking directly below Minnesota's 7.85%.
Like many other states, Idaho doubles income tax brackets for taxpayers who are filing jointly with a spouse. If you are late paying your Idaho income tax, you may be liable to pay interest of up to 4% per year. There are -40 days left until Tax Day, on April 15th 2013.
Idaho Tax Deductions
Income tax deductions are expenses that can be deducted from your gross pre-tax income. Using deductions is an excellent way to reduce your Idaho income tax and maximize your refund, so be sure to research deductions that you mey be able to claim on your Federal and Idaho tax returns. For details on specific deductions available in Idaho, see the list of Idaho income tax deductions.
4.1 - Idaho Standard Deduction
- The Idaho standard deduction is $5,700.00 for individuals and $11,400.00 for married couples filing jointly. The standard deduction may be chosen instead of filing an itemized deduction on your Idaho tax return.
- Idaho's personal income tax exemptions include a personal exemption of $3,650.00. You can deduct one single exemption from your gross income if you are responsible for supporting yourself financially.
- Idaho has a dependent exemption of $3,650.00. You may claim one dependent examption for each of the children, relatives, or others who live with and are supported by you as described § 152 of the IRC (Internal Revenue Code).
- Idaho allows itemized deductions, and you can claim the same itemized deductions on your Idaho tax return as you do on your Federal tax return. You must choose between itemizing your deductions and choosing the Idaho standard deduction, so it's generally only worth itemizing your deductions if your itemized total is more then the Idaho and Federal standard deductions. For more details, visit the list of Idaho itemized deductions.
Idaho Income Tax Forms
How To File Your Idaho Income Tax Return
Where To Send Your Idaho Tax Return
Idaho State Tax Commission
PO Box 56
Boise, ID 83756-0056
e-Filing: Submit Your Idaho Tax Return Online
You can save time and money by electronically filing your Idaho income tax directly with the State Tax Commission . Benefits of e-Filing your Idaho tax return include instant submission, error checking, and faster refund response times. Most tax preparers can electronically file your return for you, or you can do it yourself using free or paid income tax software, like the examples listed below.
Idaho encourages all taxpayers to submit their Form 40 electronically using the Idaho eFile system. Your income tax return will be immediately verified, and your income tax refund will be processed faster.
You can also pay your Idaho taxes online using direct deposit (no fee), a credit or debit card (3% convenience fee) or an e-Check ($5 fee).
To e-file your Idaho and Federal income tax returns, you need a piece of tax software that is certified for eFile by the IRS. While most in-depth tax software charges a fee, there are several free options available through the states, and simple versions are also offered free of charge by most tax software companies.
The two most popular tax software packages are H&R Block At Home, sold by the H&R Block tax preparation company, and TurboTax Federal & State, sold by the Intuit software company. Both companies produce multiple editions for simple to very complex tax returns, so be sure to carefully compare the features offered by each package.
Getting Your Idaho Tax Refund
If your state tax witholdings are greater then the amount of income tax you owe the state of Idaho, you will receive an income tax refund check from the government to make up the difference.
It should take one to three weeks for your refund check to be processed after your income tax return is recieved. E-filing your return and filing early can help ensure your refund check gets sent as quickly as possible.
Once you've filed your tax return, all you have to do is wait for your refund to arrive. If you want to check the status of your Idaho tax refund, you can visit the Idaho State Tax Commission Income Tax Refund page.
Send Instant Feedback About This Page
- Our state ranking and income tax figures are based on a family of four (married parents with two children) earning the national median household income of $50,000 per year. Deductions and personal exemptions are taken into account, but some state-specific deductions and tax credit programs may not be accounted for.
- Before the official 2013 Idaho income tax rates are released, provisional 2013 tax rates are based on Idaho's 2012 income tax brackets.
- The 2013 state personal income tax brackets are updated from the Idaho State Tax Commission and Tax Foundation data.
- Idaho tax forms are sourced from the Idaho State Tax Commission income tax forms page, and are updated on a yearly basis. Please make sure the Idaho forms you are using are up-to-date.