Delaware State Income Tax
Tax Year 2014
Delaware Income Tax Table
|Tax Bracket (Single) ||Tax Bracket (Couple) ||Marginal Tax Rate|
The Delaware Income Tax
Delaware collects a state income tax at a maximum marginal tax rate of %, spread across tax brackets. Unlike the Federal Income Tax, Delaware's state income tax does not provide couples filing jointly with expanded income tax brackets.
Delaware's maximum marginal income tax rate is the 1st highest in the United States, ranking directly below Delaware's %. You can learn more about how the Delaware income tax compares to other states' income taxes by visiting our map of income taxes by state.
Local tax rates are excluded in Delaware and 14 other states that have county or city level income taxes. In Delaware the average income tax rate for counties and large municipalities, weighted by total personal income within each jurisdiction, is 0.16% (Tax Foundation Background Paper, No. 58, "2009 State Business Tax Climate Index").
If you have a question about your Delaware tax return, you can contact the Delaware Department of Finance via email at [email protected] or call the general income tax helpline at 302-577-8200. For refund assistance call 302-577-8784, and for assistance with monthly installments call 302-577-8586.
There are -743 days left until Tax Day, on April 15th 2015. The IRS will start accepting eFiled tax returns in January 2015 - you can start your online tax return today for free with TurboTax .
Delaware Tax Deductions
Income tax deductions are expenses that can be deducted from your gross pre-tax income. Using deductions is an excellent way to reduce your Delaware income tax and maximize your refund, so be sure to research deductions that you mey be able to claim on your Federal and Delaware tax returns. For details on specific deductions available in Delaware, see the list of Delaware income tax deductions.
- Unlike many other states, Delaware has no standard deduction. Certain itemized deductions (including property tax, qualified charitable contributions, etc) may be allowed depending on the income level and filing type of the taxpayer. Keep in mind that not all deductions allowed on your federal income tax return are necessarily going to be allowed on your Delaware income tax return.
- Delaware has no personal exemption. The Federal Income Tax, however, does allow a personal exemption to be deducted from your gross income if you are responsible for supporting yourself financially.
- Unlike most states, Delaware does not have a dependent deduction. You can, however, claim dependent deductions on your Federal Tax Return.
- Delaware allows itemized deductions, and you can claim the same itemized deductions on your Delaware tax return as you do on your Federal tax return. You must choose between itemizing your deductions and choosing the Delaware standard deduction, so it's generally only worth itemizing your deductions if your itemized total is more then the Delaware and Federal standard deductions. For more details, visit the list of Delaware itemized deductions.
Tax-Rates.org provides easy access to five of the most commonly used Delaware income tax forms, in downloadable PDF format. For all of the tax forms we provide, visit our Delaware tax forms library or the 's tax forms page.
How To File Your Delaware Income Tax Return
Where To Send Your Delaware Tax Return
Income Tax Returns (Balance Due)
Department of Finance
P.O. Box 508
Wilmington, DE 19899 - 508
Income Tax Returns (Refund Owed)
Department of Finance
P.O. Box 8765
Wilmington, DE 19899-8765
Income Tax Returns (Zero Balance)
Department of Finance
P.O. Box 8711
Wilmington, DE 19899-8711
e-Filing: Submit Your Delaware Tax Return Online
You can save time and money by electronically filing your Delaware income tax directly with the . Benefits of e-Filing your Delaware tax return include instant submission, error checking, and faster refund response times. Most tax preparers can electronically file your return for you, or you can do it yourself using free or paid income tax software, like the examples listed below.
Delaware supports eFiling most versions of Form 200 - Form 200-01 (Individual Resident Income Tax Return), Form 200-02 NR (Individual Non-Resident Income Tax Return. Form), and 200-03 EZ (Individual Resident Income Tax Return EZ). Additional forms have to be sent directly to the Delaware Department of Finance. To support taxpayers who wish to electronically file their returns, Delaware provides the Delaware e-Filing Handbook, which includes all necessary information and answers to frequently asked questions.
To e-file your Delaware and Federal income tax returns, you need a piece of tax software that is certified for eFile by the IRS. While most in-depth tax software charges a fee, there are several free options available through the states, and simple versions are also offered free of charge by most tax software companies.
The two most popular tax software packages are H&R Block At Home, sold by the H&R Block tax preparation company, and TurboTax Federal & State, sold by the Intuit software company. Both companies produce multiple editions for simple to very complex tax returns, so be sure to carefully compare the features offered by each package.
Getting Your Delaware Tax Refund
If your state tax witholdings are greater then the amount of income tax you owe the state of Delaware, you will receive an income tax refund check from the government to make up the difference.
It should take one to three weeks for your refund check to be processed after your income tax return is recieved. E-filing your return and filing early can help ensure your refund check gets sent as quickly as possible.
Once you've filed your tax return, all you have to do is wait for your refund to arrive. If you want to check the status of your Delaware tax refund, you can visit the Delaware Income Tax Refund page.
Send Instant Feedback About This Page
- Our state ranking and income tax figures are based on a family of four (married parents with two children) earning the national median household income of $50,000 per year. Deductions and personal exemptions are taken into account, but some state-specific deductions and tax credit programs may not be accounted for.
- Before the official 2017 Delaware income tax rates are released, provisional 2017 tax rates are based on Delaware's 2016 income tax brackets.
- The 2017 state personal income tax brackets are updated from the Delaware and Tax Foundation data.
- Delaware tax forms are sourced from the Delaware income tax forms page, and are updated on a yearly basis. Please make sure the Delaware forms you are using are up-to-date.